Here in the United States we love to eat fast food, sweets, and foods that are loaded with fat. Because of our poor eating habits, obesity is now one of the leading health problems in our nation.
Despite the obesity epidemic in our country, Americans are in denial about their eating habits. According to a recent study:
- 89.7 percent of Americans described their diet as “somewhat” healthy.
- However, over two-thirds of U.S. adults are overweight or obese.
That means that 9 out of 10 Americans think that they eat a “somewhat” healthy diet! Pretty shocking when you consider that over two-thirds of U.S. adults are overweight or obese. Here are a few more shocking facts about the American diet…
- At least 1 in 4 people eat some type of fast food every day.
- Over 10 billion donuts are consumed in the US every year.
- The average American eats 200 grams of sugar per day.
- About 90% of Americans eat more sodium than is recommended for a healthy diet. Reducing the sodium Americans eat by 1,200mg per day on could save up to $20 billion a year in medical costs.
- 20% of all American meals are eaten in the car.
With combination of a poor diet and lack of physical activity obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and even cancer are all on the rise. Yes, a poor diet can even cause cancer!!
We are literally eating ourselves to death!
Now is the time to wake up and start eating healthy! This video is a great example of the American diet and the effects it can have on our bodies. Hopefully it will inspire you to make some positive changes to your diet…
Clauson, Annette. “Despite Higher Food Prices Percent of U.S. Income Spent on Food Remains Constant.” Research in Agricultural and Applied Economics. Accessed April 14, 2014.
Schlosser, Eric. “Americans Are Obsessed with Fast Food: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal.” CBSNews. Accessed April 14, 2014.
Jacques, Renee. “Sweet Baby Cheesus, Americans Eat A Lot Of Mozzarella (And These 11 Other Foods).” The Huffington Post. Accessed April 14, 2014.