In the United States, we place a high emphasis on measuring one’s intelligence and achievements by the time they have spent in school and degrees they have earned. It’s true that some careers require more education, such as doctors and lawyers.
Even if you don’t want work in the medical field or become an attorney, an advanced degree can certainly lead to further advancement and opportunity in your chosen field.
But do you need really a college education to be successful?
Nope…you sure don’t.
Unfortunately, our society has placed such a high emphasis on degrees that many people who don’t have a college education think badly of themselves and lack self-confidence. They don’t believe they measure up to people who have a formal college degree. Because of this, many of millennials have racked up student debt just to pursue a degree, only to find they can’t get a job upon graduation.
What’s even more interesting is that only 27% of college grads have jobs related to their field of study.
If you don’t have a college degree don’t feel bad about it. No one ever said a college degree is a prerequisite for success. Actually, I take that back. A lot of people have said a college degree is a prerequisite for success, but that’s simply not true.
Here’s the thing…You can achieve anything you want in life with or without a degree.
“Belief in yourself is more important than knowledge, training, or schooling.” -Jack Canfield
Many successful people never graduated high school or college. Here are some interesting statistics for you…
- 20% of America’s millionaires never set foot in colleges
- 21 of the 222 Americans listed as Billionaires never got their college diplomas
- 2 of the Billionaires never even finished high school
Need some examples? Here are a few successful people who never earned a college degree…
- Andrew Carnegie…Elementary school dropout
- Frank Lloyd Wright, famous architect…High School Dropout
- Larry Ellison, Founder of Oracle…Dropped out of college twice
- Henry Ford, Founder of Ford Motor Company…Never went to college
- Joyce Hall, Founder of Hallmark…Never went to college
- Colonel Sander, Founder of KFC…Elementary school dropout
- Richard Branson, Founder of Virgin Records…High School dropout
- Dave Thomas, Founder of Wendy’s…Elementary school dropout
- John D. Rockefeller, Founder of Standard Oil…High school dropout
- Mary Kay Ash, Founder of Mary Kay Inc…Never went to college
- John Mackey, Founder of Whole Foods…Dropped out of college six times
- Michael Dell, Founder of Dell Computers…Dropped out of college
- Ray Croc, Founder of McDonald’s…High School Dropout
- Steve Jobs, Co-Founder of Apple…College Dropout
- Walt Disney, Founder of Walt Disney Company…High School dropout
So, just because you don’t have a college degree doesn’t mean that you can’t be successful. Education and being dedicated to a lifetime of learning are a crucial part of achieving success, but a degree is not necessary.
However, there’s nothing wrong with going back to school to earn your degree if you so choose. It all depends on what your goals are and the career path you choose. If one of your goals is to earn a college degree, go for it! But just know that you absolutely do not need a degree to be successful.
I hope this inspires you to keep going after your goals and dreams even if you don’t have a college degree.
Just remember that believing in yourself, your capabilities, and going after your dreams are far more important than a degree!