In just a few short days, 2016 is coming to a close. For me, 2016 was filled some great memories. I launched a new business, gave a few pretty big speeches, and accomplished several big goals. However, this year was also filled with many obstacles, challenges, and a few BIG life changes, but that’s what makes life fun. Overall, it was an amazing year. While 2016 was a great year, I know 2017 can be even better for all of us.
Here are 10 simple things you can do to crush it in 2017…
1. Accept Responsibility For Your Life: We often blame others or our circumstances for where we are in life. The only way to move forward in life is to accept complete responsibility for where we are in life. We are 100% responsible for where we are in life. Look in the mirror…that’s your competition.
2. Find Your Why: There is a reason why we do everything we do. Unfortunately, we often get caught up in the menial tasks and forget why we are doing them. We lose sight of the bigger picture, we lose sight our purpose, we lose sight of our “why”. We are all here for a reason and we all have a purpose. If/when you are feeling overwhelmed with your busy schedule and finding it hard to get things done, stop, and ask yourself WHY you do the things you do…
- Why did you get our of bed? (Because I want to accomplish great things today)
- Why do you have the job you have? (Because I’m providing for my beautiful family)
- Why do you need to write the research paper? (Because I want to graduate from college)
- Why do you want to start a business? (Because I want to be my own boss)
3. Set Goals: When I ask the majority of people what their goals are very few people have specific answers to what they want to achieve in their life, or what their goals and dreams are. Most of the time people respond to me with answers like…
“I don’t really know. Maybe I will go back to school one day.”
“Hmmmm. I’m not sure. I think I might like to own my own business someday.”
If you don’t know where you’re heading, how will you create a plan to get there? Take time to identify what your goals and dreams are. Write them down and start working towards them. Here’s a post I wrote that will help you identify your goals.
4. Surround Yourself With Great People: Attitudes, desires, habits and decisions are all contagious…they rub off on you and influence you. In fact, we tend to become just like the people that we hang around with, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you choose to spend your time with. Jim Rohn says, “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” If that’s true, who are the five people you spend the most time with?
- Do these individuals motivate and inspire you?
- Do they want you to succeed?
- Are you a better person for being associated with them?
This year, choose to surround yourself with people who lift you up, people who are supportive, and people who believe in you and your dreams.
5. Help Others: No matter where you are in life there will always be someone who doesn’t have as much as you. There are always people you can help. You can have a huge impact on someone’s life. Too often we get caught up in our lives and we forget that there is no greater joy than making a difference and helping those in need.
Be kind and treat others the way you would like to be treated. It’s simple, but everyone deserves to be treated fairly with kindness and compassion. Anyone can handle things with anger, but a responsible, mature person is kind and treats others the way they want to be treated.
6. Read: Did you know that…
- 33 percent of U.S. high school graduates will NEVER read a book after high school
- 42 percent of college students will NEVER read another book after they graduate
- 80 percent of U.S. families did NOT buy a book this year
- 70 percent of adults have NOT been in a bookstore in the past 5 years
It’s important to commit yourself to a lifetime of learning. We live in a time where there are books written on every topic you can possibly imagine. You can learn about anything and everything you can possibly dream about. Reading has many great health benefits as well. Reading improves memory, reduces stress, reduces anxiety, and prevents and slows the progress of Dementia and Alzheimer’s.
7. Follow The Five Second Rule: I first heard about this rule when watching a TED talk by Author, relationship expert, and Life Coach, Mel Robbins. You can check out her TED talk here. In an article from Success Magazine, Mel discusses the Five Second Rule. According to Mel, “Anytime you have an idea that seems like a sure thing, act to advance it within five seconds. Why? Because your brain’s main job is to avoid trouble and risk, so in less than five seconds it will persuade you to abandon your idea.”
We come up with ideas all the time that we put off and never do anything about. All because we wait…we delay…we procrastinate. We convince ourselves not to.
If you tell yourself “I should” you have five seconds to act on it before your brain pulls the “emergency brake” and tells you not to do it.
Stop self-sabotaging yourself. Stop pulling the emergency brake and act on your ideas with five seconds.
8. Forgive Those Who Hurt You: In life people will hurt your feelings, say mean things, and do mean things to you. It’s okay, people are human and they make mistakes. There’s no sense holding grudges and being bitter. It’s too exhausting and ruins your happiness. Move on. Forgive them. Forgiveness is always the best option.
9. Take Care Of Your Body: Obesity is one of the leading health problems in the U.S. Studies have found that over two-thirds of U.S. adults are overweight or obese. Having a healthy body is a critical part of living a fulfilling life. You only get one body so take care of it. Make fitness a priority, eat better, cut back on the sugar and sweets, drink lots of water, and get enough sleep.
10. Be Thankful For Everything: Being thankful for the things you have is the key to happiness. There are people in this world today who are suffering from different diseases, people who are homeless, and people who don’t have enough food to eat. It’s easy to look at the things you don’t have and want more, but be thankful for EVERYTHING you have and realize how blessed you really are. Start focusing on your blessing and not on your problems!
Bonus…Pray on a Daily Basis: Sometimes all you need to do is thank God for the blessings you have been given, and ask Him for guidance and direction. When you are worried…Pray. When you are scared…Pray. When you are thankful…Pray. When in doubt…Pray.
I hope 2017 is filled with happiness, love, and personal growth for you and your loved ones. Just remember that life is a roller coaster ride with ups and downs, highs and lows, but you need to enjoy the journey because one day the ride will come to an end for each and every one of us.
Enjoy the ride. Enjoy life. Be Happy. Be Kind. Be Positive. Happy New Year.